Tuesday, December 23, 2008

A game that doesn't matter

I am home for the holidays. And when I am home for the holidays I do not miss an opportunity to go to Magic games.

I have been going to games my entire life and it meant so much to me growing up. I will not lie, when I was in elementary school and middle school I was one of those blind, naive superfans who would believe in anything the team did.

It was different going away to college and not being able to watch every game or go to as many home games as I did. The first trip back home for Thanksgiving to Amway Arena felt very odd. I felt disconnected from the team and I felt I needed to catch up on how the team was doing (the only game I had watched to that point was an opening day blowout win versus Chicago).

I have gotten used to this feeling a little bit and have grown to love reading everything about the team.

But something odd happened last night. I made the conscious decision not to attend Monday's game against the Warriors.

My rationale? Look at the final score of the game.

A lot of people I know were kind of shocked when I told them this. I was kind of shocked by my own decision, in fact.

But I think it means something about the team itself. Orlando has reached the point where the team is good enough that this game is not a question. It was a four-point game in the third quarter and then, bam, it was a 20-point lead. The Magic were in control of the game the entire time.

I know I am a bad fan and I salute the 17,461 (that cannot be right, it did not look like there were that many people) that attended the game. But this is the luxury of having a great team.

Don't worry, I still watched the game. And I will be back Thursday afternoon.

No comments:

Video of the Week

Updated: 11/8/2009

NBA Playoffs 2009 Tracker

Orlando Magic Playoff Moments

What the Playoffs are all About