Monday, January 12, 2009

Frame of mind all that is left

A few things suck about not being in Orlando. One of them is that I cannot watch the Magic. That leaves me needing to fill time when I would be watching Orlando play.

So after three hours of NBA Live 2004 (the best of the series... that I have played. And yes, I know that was the 21-61 team. But they did not know that at the time), I turned my computer back on and caught the Magic score. The game had just ended and I had no clue what happened.

But the Magic won.

First reaction? That was a solid win. I am impressed.

My second thought? Wait a second, of course we won. We are one of the best teams in the league. Why wouldn't the Magic win?

Thus I found the last hurdle to winning a title. Mediocrity has beaten down into our heads that wins against the elite are a special thing that do not come around very often. That good teams are fleeting and the Playoffs (let alone home court advantage) should be treasured.

If you have been a long-time fan, this guarded optimism should come natural -- as should the feeling of unexpected and immediate collapse. I cannot be the only one who thinks it is crazy that the premier Magic blog on the Internet is called Third Quarter Collapse and that I named my own blog after something that kept Orlando down in the dumps for a decade.

This Orlando team CAN win a title. Repeat after me. This Orlando team CAN win a title. Repeat. This Orlando team CAN win a title.

Maybe repetition will burn it into my skull. Now that the national media is starting to notice the Magic's exploits, it is time for the fans to start believing.

The team believes it can win a title. Otis Smith has been telling them that for three years now, probably longer. The media is beginning to gravitate in that direction.

All that is left is for us, the fans, to believe every game is a win. Which at this point it should be. A win over San Antonio should be as expected as a win over Washington.

OK, maybe that is a little extreme. But wins are expected, losses are shocking. Maybe if I keep telling myself that, I will believe it and will start prepping for June basketball.

No comments:

Video of the Week

Updated: 11/8/2009

NBA Playoffs 2009 Tracker

Orlando Magic Playoff Moments

What the Playoffs are all About