Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Magic in the conference finals? Still hard to believe

Orlando led by five points entering the fourth quarter. It was the type of situation in the team's series with Boston that was precarious.

Then the Magic extended the lead to double digits and built their lead back to 17 points. Even with the lead, it still seemed the Celtics had a great chance to close out and make a Game Five-type comeback. To Orlando's credit, the team learned its lesson and closed out the game.

And even with the Magic pulling away, it is tough to imagine them being in the Eastern Conference Finals. This was a series they should have finished in five.

But in the true character of the team, the only celebration was Rashard Lewis raising his arms and embracing Dwight Howard as the clock at the TD Banknorth Garden went to zero.

I will get to Cleveland a little bit more tomorrow.

But it still has not completely hit me that the Magic are in the conference finals, halfway to an NBA title. I have played the "this team is not ready to win a title" card all season. I still do not think the team has that special something to get the eight more wins it needs to lift the Larry O'Brien Trophy.

What a step for this team though.

To get to this point for the first time in 13 years is an incredible accomplishment that deserves some recognition. I am sure after some reflection in the offseason -- or tip off on Wednesday -- I will begin to realize what this team has accomplished.

But perhaps right now, I am too close as a fan to appreciate everything. I guess I cheer like a coach. I expect perfection and after a game, I turn my attention to the next game. With a Finals berth only four wins away, it is a greedy get greedier proposition.

Reaching the Eastern Conference Finals for the first time since 1996 is a fantastic accomplishment worth celebrating. It is just hard to celebrate as you get ready to go to war with a realistic -- and it is realistic chance -- to win a series.

But the Magic have certainly gained the respect of their hometown. Going to Game Four, made me extremely happy to be a Magic fan. I had not been to a playoff game since Game Six in the 2003 first round against the Pistons and the atmosphere was fantastic.

The city has gotten behind the team again. And people who were not fans before this year are fans for the first time, or fans again.

It is a good sign, but excuse me for not celebrating quite yet. There is plenty of work left to do. Reflection and celebration for a great season -- and this is a great season -- are for the offseason.

No comments:

Video of the Week

Updated: 11/8/2009

NBA Playoffs 2009 Tracker

Orlando Magic Playoff Moments

What the Playoffs are all About